This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see our disclosures here.
If you’re looking for a very kid-friendly recipe that takes little effort on your behalf, these Pizza Joes are right up your alley. Sloppy Joes that are made with light ground turkey and taste like pizza? Of course that’s a winner!
To begin, dice 1/2 cup each of onion and green bell pepper. I used red onions today, simply because that is what was in the house. Saute these for about 2 minutes over medium heat with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil.
(You make also notice that there are no green bell peppers in the skillet. You see, my crazy son – the one who eats just about everything under the sun, including whale blubber – hates peppers. I decided to be the “nice mom” today and left them out, but normally I put them in anyway.)
Add in 2 lb of ground turkey (or chicken) and cook this until it is opaque, breaking it up with your spoon a bit as it cooks.
Place the meat mixture into your slow cooker.
Now comes the hard part. You have to open two whole cans of pizza sauce and pour them in! It’s a tough one I tell you. (wink, wink)
Stir it together, cover and cook on low temperature for 6-8 hours or 3-4 hours on high.
To serve, spoon the meat mixture onto a roll, top with a slice of provolone or mozzarella cheese, and your (Sloppy) Pizza Joes are done!
- ½ c diced onion
- ½ c diced green bell pepper
- 1 Tb extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lb ground turkey (or chicken)
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) pizza sauce
- sandwich rolls
- sliced mozzarella or provolone cheese
- To begin, saute the diced onion & green bell pepper with the extra virgon olive oil over medium heat for 2 minutes.
- Add in the ground turkey and cook until the turkey is opaque, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks.
- Place the meat mixture in your slow cooker and pour in the pizza sauce.
- Give it a stir, then cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. (Or 3-4 hours in high.)
- To serve, spoon the meat mixture onto a roll, top with a slice of cheese and enjoy!