My son’s birthday was coming up, and I asked him what kind of cake he wanted. He immediately said he wanted chocolate cake with cream cheese frosting and strawberries on top. Alrighty then! I set out to come up with a recipe that wasn’t just healthy, but that was also delicious.
After experimenting with gluten free and grain free flours over the years, I decided to try this mix that I came up with. It turned out pretty well! I think you’ll love it, too. Give it a try, and you can even print this recipe for future use.
- 2 cups gluten free all purpose flour (feel free to try mine HERE)
- ½ cup whole almonds (or blanched)
- ½ cup gluten free oats
- 3 tbsp unsweetened ground cacao (not cocoa)
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup raw honey (local is best) Note: may substitute with coconut sugar + ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup butter (do not use coconut oil as it will make the cake dry once it cools)
- 2 tbsp milk (nut, coconut, cold or goat)
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 6-8 drops lemon or lime juice
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Grease one round, rectangular or springform baking pan.
- In a blender or food processor, put in whole almonds and oats. Blend until pulverized.
- Mix dry ingredients in a bowl.
- Separate egg yolks and egg whites into two separate bowls. The egg whites can go in a mixer bowl, if you have one.
- Add 6-8 drops of lemon or lime juice in with the egg whites and beat for about 5 minutes on high until it creams up and high peaks form.
- In a saucepan, put the raw honey and the butter on low until barely melted and add it to yolks bowl. Whisk well.
- Add the vanilla and the milk and whisk until incorporated completely.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients well.
- Fold in the whipped egg and lemon mixture.
- Line greased pan with parchment paper and spread mix evenly. Tip: use a wet spatula to spread easily.
- Bake for 20 minute or until toothpick is almost clean. Make sure it is baked through but don't overbake as it will come out dry. Cool completely before removing from pan.
- Enjoy as is or put frosting of your choice. You can use a little bit of frosting to leave some of the chocolate exposed or cover it completely.
- As per my sons' request, I used my homemade cream cheese frosting recipe and sliced strawberries.
- Keep covered in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep for half a week of so.
Don’t forget to check out more delicious recipes here! And if you’d like more information about why you might want to consider eating gluten free, you can read more about it here.