Many times when children come down with an illness or fever, one of the first things they want is something cold like a popsicle. As a mom that wants her child to get better as soon as possible, I know that sugary popsicles are not a good idea. Here’s a simple recipe for immune boosting popsicles that you can easily make yourself!
This time of year can bring a whole host of illnesses to a family like colds, viruses, and the flu. To help your child get better faster, make sure they stay away from sugary foods. Sugar suppresses the immune system and causes the immune system to have to work extra hard, thus prolonging the illness. Instead, make cold sweet treats that have only natural sugars with immune boosting herbs!
One of my favorite herbs to use to boost the immune system is echinacea. Echinacea does a great job of attacking invading microbes in the body so that the body can heal itself. It is very useful at fighting infections and boosting the immune system.  I’ve used echinacea many times over the past 14 years for my children and been very pleased with how well it has helped them improve more quickly. Also, take note that echinacea should not be used for more than 2 weeks at a time. Be sure to take a break for a few weeks before starting it up again.
DIY Immune Boosting Herb Pops
100% fruit juice
- Make a tea by combining 2 teaspoons of dried echinacea or 4 teaspoons of fresh echinacea with one cup of boiling water.
- Remove pan from the heat and cover.
- Steep echinacea in water for 15-20 minutes.
- Strain the herb from the liquid and reserve the tea.
- Fill a popsicle mold with half echinacea tea and half 100% fruit juice.
- Freeze and use as needed.
- Bulk Herbs and Spices, Natural Living Tips, Books, and More. (n.d.). Retrieved January 26, 2017, from https://www.bulkherbstore.com/