Skip and Daisy Learn to Read is a phonics based reading program consisting of 3 DVDs and 3 workbooks. This program is designed to take beginning readers and turn them into proficient readers within 3-6 months using repetition through sight words, phonics, and sentences. The program is aimed at children in grades K-4.
Why We Like Skip and Daisy
- The portability of the program is a great benefit in our home. We were able to take a DVD and workbook with us on our two week vacation allowing for maximum learning while on the road and downtime. This was particularly great on the longer portions of traveling. We would put the DVD in our van’s movie playing system and our two youngest boys (3-year-old and 5-year-old) were excited and engaged in the reading lesson the entire time it played.
- The ability to use multiple approaches in learning. Although the boys enjoy watching the DVD portion of Skip and Daisy, they equally enjoy doing the workbooks as well. Our oldest son is really enjoying the reading and writing portions of the workbook, it is right up his alley.
- Multiple ages can learn at the same time.Because of the differences in age, my boys are at different reading levels. So while our youngest son (3-year-old) is a beginning reader, our oldest son (5-year-old) is a bit more advanced, they are still both able to enjoy the program on varying levels. And their big sister (7th grader) is also enjoying the boys reading to her from their workbook.
- Being able to start and stop lessons when needed. Because it is a DVD, you are able to control what is being played. For instance, maybe your child did not quite get one of the new words or sounds, you can just hit the “back” button on the DVD player and the child can seamlessly practice until they are ready to move on. The same goes with being able to stop the lesson and start right back up where you left off. This has been a great feature for our eager learners!
- Family friendly characters. The boys like that Skip and Daisy are brother and sister (twins). And they really like the fact that Skip wears a superhero costume!
Why I would recommend Skip and Daisy
Simply because it is a solid program to help the beginning reader advance at their pace. It is not a high pressure program, rather it is very relaxed and flexible approach to reading not overloaded with too much work. I have watched my 5-year-old go from beginning reader to reading short chapter books in a matter of 3 months. And to be quite honest, it is our 5-year-old who is the goofiest in our family. While he does love to learn, he is so busy being a boy, sometimes his attention span can be quite short. However, this program has kept him focused and the results are amazing.
Learn More About Skip and Daisy
- You can find out more about the Learn to Read product as well as other Skip and Daisy products by visiting their website.
Carlie currently resides in Germany courtesy of the US Army. She has been a blessed, stay-at-home, homeschoolin’ mama since 2001, to her 3 precious gifts she calls “children.” She is a proud Army wife and has been married to the love of her life, Michael, since June 2000. In her free time she enjoys anything to do with Jesus, family, photography, reading, writing, singing, teaching, and being outdoors. You can find out more about her family homeschooling adventures and Christian faith at her blog: So You Call Yourself A Homeschooler?
Skip and Daisy Learn to Read Giveaway
Would you like to win the set of Learn to Read DVDs and workbooks? TWO Hip Homeschool Moms will win this set from Skip and Daisy! Even if you don’t win, the folks at Skip and Daisy are offering our readers a discount of 10% on any purchase. Just use discount code HHM10 when you order from MilestoneReading.com.